Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Day 2 View Royal, BC and a slogan!

On day 2 yesterday I added 8.1 km so I am now in the View Royal area of greater Victoria, BC. The day started in the Uptown area of Saanich, BC (see map on right - click on the map to see an expanded view), and the trail in this area follows the Galloping Goose regional trail, a very popular hiking, jogging and bicycling route here on Vancouver Island. The route is all pretty level in this opening part, but the ascent near the Malahat is in the days ahead.

In the distance across the inlet from View Royal is the Fort Rodd National Historic site - it actually includes two historic sites, a fort and a lighthouse.  It, along with all Canadian National Parks and Historic Sites, has free admission this year for Canada 150, so this year would be an ideal time to visit.
I shared the start of my virtual walking journey with my granddaughter yesterday, and she is keen to start her own walk.  In case any of you reading this have started your own walk, why not mention it in the comments, and include a link if you have an online update.

The other bit of news, on my walk yesterday I thought of a slogan for my walk.  As mentioned yesterday, while I am not setting a firm goal for either destination for time period, I am hoping to complete from Victoria, BC to Sackville, NB by May, 2022 (which will be my Mount Allison Class '72 50 year reunion). I am going to use the slogan #SeeYouIn22 for my walk (kind of a message to my Mount Allison and New Brunswick Friends). 

Day 2 I walked 8.1 km which took me from a starting point in the Uptown region of Saanich, BC to the View Royal region of BC (approaching Langford, BC).

No comments:

Post a Comment